Post-Apo Car challenge 2018 - based on Mustang RTR-X

Notifications
Clear all

Sharki.e
(@sharki-e)
Topic starter  

Hi there. 

Just joined in here 😀 A friend told me about this challenge, as I'm working at the moment on my uni master's thesis, which is actually about making post-apocaliptic style car 😛
I've got none experience, if we talk about working in 3D industry (hopefully it gonna change soon :P) - I was self learning mostly from tutorials, or by doing several projects on uni or in spare time at home.
I started to model exterior mods for a car about month ago, and as a base I use my old model I did in past (was only  exterrior of a car). It was also first that complex model I did, and first in 3dsmax. Lets call it 'base', cause I got overall shape of a car, but to start with this post-apo project, I firstly remade like 60% of model topology, to make wireframe nice, clean and a bit lower-poly, I changed some elements to look more sharp and different than the original car reference.

At the moment I stopped modelling, cause I had to focus on some other stuff, but I will resume it soon, especially that this challenge put some extra motivation to work harder on it. 70 days sounds a lot, but we'll see. I've got a bit more time for thesis project. I'm not able at the moment to model complex stuff in like a day or two, like PRO modellers does 😛 But I will try my best to make at least something similar I have in my mind. I think the worst part will be rendering and post-production ;p
If not winning some prize, it is always good opportunity to show your project to other people, and get some critiques.

I've got some idea what I would like my car to look like as final version, now its still WIP. I went through tons of references over Internet to imagine where i would like to go - references from games, concept arts, movies like 'Mad Max' or 'Death Race'.

For sure I'm gonna model some gun turret, which will land on front hood of a car, and probably few smaller hand guns like hmm hand-made hammer or knife/sword.

Also model looks pretty 'brand new' for now - I will add some cracks and dents in the end and by textures.

I've got some idea about scene, but I have always problems to look on bigger picture = what scene should look like.  It will probably be a desert scene, but its too early to say its 100% 🙂 I liked atmosphere going through 'Mad Max' movie a lot, or in games like Borderlands or Fallout - and I would see my car in scenes like this.

--------

Old model from past - without any textures, just Vray pearlescent-like shader applied. Standard plane UVW map to add stripes on top of the body.Post-Apo Car challenge 2018 - based on Mustang RTR-X
High-poly version of a car I'm working on at the moment.Post-Apo Car challenge 2018 - based on Mustang RTR-X

Test render with Vray in 3dsmax - Car Paint matte gray shader with using HDRi as scene and lighting, and Vray Plane for shadows.Post-Apo Car challenge 2018 - based on Mustang RTR-X

That's it for now 😀 Gonna get back into it as soon as possible 🙂
I'll try to post here some updates from time to time.
Cheers

suriel and Serhii reacted
Sharki.e
(@sharki-e)
Topic starter  

Some update:

I've unwrapped some part of a car and made few textures in Substance Painter and test renders in 3dsmax. 

I've started as well to model a plane, which will be a part of my scene. Base is P-40 Warhawk - with shark side paint. 

Gonna work more soon on other car details and some guns for it :

Plane wreck references:

ReplyQuote
Sharki.e
(@sharki-e)
Topic starter  

It was a while since I posted some progress. So I think I might at least share few screens and renders of models I prepared for challenge entry. Im glad I could participate and that I was able to finish project on time 🙂

I think the most challenging thing was unwrapping models for texturing. Mainly with car body or plane, cause those were pretty big pieces, and I had to decide what would be the best way to slice them. Also the fact that i was working on more dense meshes, after smoothing and converting all to poly. I did it way I can at the moment 😀 I'm going to learn soon learn a bit about creating game ready assets, so practice with coinverting high to low poly. I would like to optimise whole scene and eventually learn Unreal Engine and put it there. Might be good one for practice 🙂

Car model:

P-40 Warhawk - plane model:

Axe based on Denis Zadoeny concept (here:  https://www.artstation.com/artwork/JZ4Jn)

ReplyQuote
Sharki.e
(@sharki-e)
Topic starter  

Here some screens/renders from Substance Painter:

ReplyQuote
Sharki.e
(@sharki-e)
Topic starter  

And here's the last one, a look for scene inside 3dsmax

And Final render and challenge entry:

This is day version, with clear sky and nice sun 🙂

Although I created as well a bit darker version for fun 🙂 - late afternoon, a bit foggy.

Hope You guys like it 🙂

Serhii reacted
ReplyQuote